High Speed Internet Access / Wireless Hotspots
WLAN Design and Deployment
CSI specializes in the design and deployment of wireless network solutions across the enterprise. The performance and security of any wireless solution is heavily dependent on the manner in which it is designed and installed. Wireless networks should provide all the security and flexibility of wired networks without the wires. Our design policy captures these integration issues together with key aspects that affect the design of the network. These are typically:
- Wired LAN Discovery
- Application intent and wireless LAN use
- User Work Habits & Methods
- Wireless Security
- Physical Environment
RF Site Survey
What is a wireless survey? With wireless systems it can be very difficult to predict the propagation of radio waves and detect the presence of interfering signals without the use of test equipment, even when using omni-directional antennas, as radio waves do not travel the same distance in all directions. Walls, doors, elevator shafts, people and other obstacles give varying degrees of attenuation and can cause reflection, refraction and diffraction of the radio waves which cause the RF radiation patterns to be irregular and unpredictable. As a result it is often necessary to perform a RF site survey to fully understand the behavior of radio waves within a facility before installing wireless network access points.
CSI site surveys are accomplished using the latest hardware and software and include the following:
- Extensive site survey report per location
- Detailed customer needs assessment
- Physical inspection of customers infrastructure and point of Demarcation
- Physical survey using industry specific software package
- Identify coverage areas and dead spots
- Ideal AP placement and power settings
- Identify client roaming areas
- RF interoperability study to identify areas of RF interference and noise
- Measure true end-user connection speeds, retry rate and packet loss
- Predictive co-channel analysis for AP interference
- Specific antenna modeling to ensure desired coverage needs are met
- Temporarily install APs (APs will be the same model deployed for final installation) to simulate coverage (if needed)
- GPS based reports using three dimensional topographical maps if applicable
The security of the wireless network must conform to the security policy of the organization. This extends to the authentication and accounting of users and controlling access to network resources. Security also includes the level and type of encryption to use across the wireless network. This can differ on a SSID and VLAN basis (e.g. companies may have an open authentication, non-encrypted network for guest access to the Internet together with an 802.1x LEAP authenticated, AES encrypted internal network). CSI understands the paramount importance of wireless network security and has deployed / implemented TDES / TDEA radius servers for mission critical Law Enforcement customers.
CSI utilizes state of the art proprietary security detection software and hardware that allows the CSI engineer to detect and quickly identify / neutralize MAJOR wireless security breaches and rogue access points.
To prevent the loss of mission critical data CSI recommends quarterly security audits.
If you are thinking about deploying a wireless solution, or have already realized the benefits of having a professional site survey performed, please contact us to discuss how we may help you get the best out of your wireless network.